The Anticlimactic Ending to Fifth Age and my Final Thoughts

My party went through the final session of my Fifth Age campaign the other day. You can read about the first two here and here, and see initial my thoughts on the conversion here. Also, I'm really sorry it took me so long to make this post.

Now, here we go. We ran this session on Roll20, and it began with Cooper and Jeff receiving a transmission. As you may recall, the two heroes were last instructed to hunt down The Purger, a rogue synthetic that believed humanity was a virus that needed to be destroyed.

Jeff and Cooper had been searching for a few months, but without luck. The transmission was from their employer, telling them that The Purger was assisting rebel synthetics on the distant planet of Charl. They landed there near a battlefield where the synthetics were pushing back a group of humans who were attempting to assault their base.

Jeff and Cooper needed to steal a ship from the Synthetics so they could attack The Purger's ship, which was orbiting the planet. The Purger was using giant robotic spiders that could shoot lasers. The players had to sneak past a few of them on the battlefield I made on Roll20. 2 of them spotted them, and we had a pretty good combat. I would like to say (or type), however, that I still think traditional, fantasy combat is better in 5th Edition D&D. I guess that's why we have other systems specifically for this kind of thing.

Anyway, they stole the ship after taking down one of the spiders and losing the other, with the help of 2 of the humans who were fighting the machines.

They flew up in the fighter, and this is where the session started to go downhill. Fifth Age doesn't have any space combat rules, so I was forced to throw together some very basic ones of my own. Guess how that went. It was just a dice rolling competition, with no real combat excitement, between me and the player piloting the ship.

Anyway, after they destroyed 2 drone ships, the boarded The Purger's giant ship. At this point, Cooper's internet started to go weird, and he kept dropping out. We eventually had to end the session there, without them ever even properly meeting The Purger. See. Anticlimactic.

My final thoughts on Fifth Age are that it actually... isn't so good. I mean, it's good... but only good for what it is. I think we must simply accept that the Science Fiction genre and Dungeons & Dragons 5e were not meant to go together.

Anyway, I'm running White Plume Mountain soon, then starting my own campaign.

Be sure to check the session reports on those out if you liked this article!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internet D&D Questions Issue 2

Why I Banned my Players from Playing Chaotic Neutral

Fifth Age Session 2